Friday, August 25, 2006

Reflecting on Shadow

This poem and photo selection was created as homework
for a Ruhi Book 4 group I am presently in. There were many more images used as a slide show and the words were read out loud. The images below are only a selection of the original presentaion.

The homework we were set was to take pictures from our surrounding environment and community that we saw, personally, reflected signs of old orders breaking down
and new order growing up out of that decay.

As I had been stuck for many years, not able to remove a creative block around this very subject, this homework was very challenging for me. I have been a visual artist all my life and found the decay so confronting I chose not to reflect it at all. If I could not reflect beauty I was not going to have a voice.

This of cause ment very little art coming out. After I pushed through this block after consulting with a fellow group member I found myself free and for the first time in many many years able to reflect the beauty and not get side tracked by the decay.

Reflecting on Shadow was born, I now have found my voice
.................................................................................

Dancing sky with clouds
Reflection and shadow uniting
Rippling...dancing
Shadows meeting reality
Shadows of forests dead
Bones still serving
Reflecting a times end
With always a promise
Reflecting the cycle
Reflecting on Shadow
Dancing sky with clouds
Reflection and shadow uniting
Rippling...dancing
Shadows meeting reality
Shadows of forests dead
Bones still serving
Reflected truth
Veiled reality
Path appears through shadow
Negative and positive uniting
What is shadow?
Waves of materialism shadowed by orchards of abundant fruit
Light of reality still struggles through

Shadows of beauty off cold metal walls
Light and shadow rippling
Patterns dancing
Reality slowly forming

Light struggles through
Orchards of abundant fruit a growing reality


Twin manifestations
Shadows and reflections become clear
Shadows of beauty off cold brick walls

Two wings

Light unites with shadow to create form
Cage of imprisonment

Break all binding threads to free the true self

The Ancient Beauty's signs

2 Comments:

Blogger fanta said...

beautifully done.

i have spent much time "reflecting" on shadow, your words and images give me even more to think about... quite wonderful.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful post and shadow images. i like capturing interesting shadow images too. shibori is akin to shadows in that it leaves a memory on the cloth the way a shadow leaves an image/memory of an object. light, darkness, memories....very inspiring!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home